“This is design” is a sentence we have heard thousands of times. Its meaning is generally associated with an innovative, current, good quality product…but the reality is quite different because design concept is everything, and here lies the difference and importance between good design and bad design.
Dieter Rams, Braun’s designer for almost 35 years, mentioned 10 basic principles of good design which we will analyze.
- It is innovative. Innovation is an inexhaustible technological development in which together with the design they make a current and improved product.
- Good design makes a product useful. A product is purchased to meet the needs of the user and good design emphasizes the usefulness of the product.
- It is aesthetic. An aesthetic design is important as it affects our well-being and our person, but only a well-executed product can be beautiful.
- Good design makes a product understandable. When a design is well done no explanation is needed, the product speaks for itself, it is intuitive in all its aspects.
- It is discreet: The whole product must be neutral and restrained. The functionality of the product is the most important part, we should not confuse it with a work of art or a decorative aspect.
- Good design is honest. Good product design is what we see, it is not intended to manipulate the user or consumer with false expectations.
- It has a long life. It is timeless and made with superior quality, it is designed to last for many years unlike fashionable design.
- It is consistent in its details. There are no details left to chance or improvisation, everything is designed for smooth operation and better respect for the user.
- Respect for the environment. A preservation of the environment with the right materials and the manufacture of the product, always trying to respect the rule of the 3Rs: reduce, reuse, recycle and extend the life cycle of a product.
- It is design in its smallest expression. It does honor at less is more, focusing the design on the essential parts, without unnecessary ornaments or elements.
It is very important to have design professionals if we want to achieve a good product that meets all the premises mentioned above. If we place our trust in a product design studio, apart from obtaining a quality product, it will increase our sales and open up a niche in the market where the competition will have to be renewed if it does not want to be left behind.
A good product will identify us as a company as it does with Apple products, that a product is identified with a brand is very interesting because it creates a community. If a company manages to create a community with its brand, it becomes a market leader leaving behind the competition as the consumer will not value other options and will always buy all the products of the same brand.
Once a community is consolidated, the company sees another business opportunity that is based on changing the principle of meeting needs to creating needs. That is, you can create products that do not really meet any need but that consumers, usually in the community, believe they can. A great example would be the iPad, a hybrid between a smartphone and a laptop, probably until it hit the market no one had needed a similar product. But it is clear that it has been a success and has been very well received by the whole society and that is why the competition has had to catch up and follow in the footsteps of Apple.
The advantages of being surrounded by qualified professionals and getting good products thanks to good designs are very clear.